Monday, January 7, 2013

pi is online -- First impressions

The biggest thing that strikes me is how slow it is.  Like 386 slow.  Ran dstat and top, everything seems to be IO bound.  I'm considering installing an NFS server to see if that's faster than the SD card.  I also seem to be having power issues (maybe) because it flakes out randomly.  Right now the only thing plugged into it is my wireless keyboard adapter, but I'll 86 that tomorrow now that I have sshd running.

I went ahead and splurged for the case.  Installation took about a minute with two of the kids watching excitedly.  I feel much better about its enclosure as I'm terrified to snap off the resistor near the SD card slot.  Booted up, resized the root filesystem, tried installing a few apps with limited success (I have vim now, elinks and freedoom, but freedoom doesn't want to work with the composite out?  I'll try HDMI tomorrow.  I want to remove X off it, at composite resolutions its all but useless.

This is going to be an abbreviated entry due to illness.  Been feeling ill all day at work (still managed a productive day amazingly).  If I take tomorrow off (which is looking likely), I'll take a lot of time to play with the pi and see what I can do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.