Thursday, January 3, 2013

History of the geek behind the keyboard

I've been screwing around with Linux for a long time by Linux standards.  It was my second *NIX-like operating system after SCO (System V, Release 4).  I struggled with the now long dead Yggdrasil and settled on the (at the time) super slick interface of Slackware.  It was a beautiful thing, other than having to manually configure your X.conf, getting a system up was a mere matter of swapping a bunch of 1.44 floppies into your computer to add just the packages you wanted (usually, I'd install the core and networking, then install everything else by downloading the packages after the fact) and you'd have a working system at the end of the afternoon.

Times change, I stuck with Slackware to about version 8, switched to Redhat just as they stopped providing a free version of the Operating System.  Played with BeOS for a while, became a Solaris Administrator, doing everything from basic installation to helping with complicated fail-over systems using Veritas and Sun HA.  Switched eventually to Fedora, then Ubuntu, RHEL 5, CentOS 5 and now I'm back to Fedora.  I've used FVWM95, CDE, OpenStep, Ximian Gnome, Gnome 2, Gnome 3, Unity, Enlightenment, BlackBox, xfce and too many other Window Managers to count.  I've configured networks, virtual machines, sandboxes, written device drivers, setup high volume and high profile servers on the internet.  Run bind (DNS), apache (httpd), written complex bash scripts, resorted to C++ when bash couldn't do it easily.

I'm constantly learning, trying to push through the barriers of what I know and resting on my laurels.  I've gotten to a point where there's realistically nothing I can't figure out, yet so much I have to learn.  I'm going to use this platform to HOPEFULLY help me document some of those problems as I work on them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.