Sunday, January 6, 2013

Pi Projects Abound

My SD card has the OS ready to go, I'm looking at projects far and wide for my RPi coming tomorrow.  I have now no less than four projects that I expect will take some time; but each of which has at least a good chunk of the work done for each.  One of them may turn into arduino project down the road instead.

I'm also going to take apart my Roku and see if there's anything useful I can do with it.  Seems capable enough and its dead silent.  I have to see what my network can bear as far as load, so I'll need to get some network metrics stuff working between Windows (my fastest computer is still my gaming rig; soon it will be converted to Linux as well) and Linux.  If the network gear here can sustain it, it looks like streaming video isn't that bandwidth intensive and my old fashioned wired / wireless network (100 mbit LAN / 802.11 b/n wireless) should have enough to stream full 1080p (once I get a TV that can handle it).  Going to try to run the pi as a media center, a game center, a PBX and possibly as replacement for my house alarm (may need to buy a cell phone card for it at that point), plus some home automation.  The idea of having a low power computer just sitting idle takes me back to when I used to run servers everywhere in the house.  This time, they don't weigh 80lbs and cost $30 / month in electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.